Thursday, 16 February 2017

Fasting Mimicking Diet

I have a confession. I have put on SO much weight since leaving Florida. Apparently, weight gain is how I deal with stress, boredom and COLD! I have every excuse to exercise, I have tons of time; but I just don't. It's too cold, I can't run in this weather, it's raining!.... I bought a gym membership that I never use (I love to swim) and I peruse websites for losing weight like a fiend, but the availability of Starbucks and junk food are too much of a constant. I think I'm doing well, and then I order a coke with our takeout. I pass by a Starbucks and 'treat the kids' and myself!

 I do try though. As long as it's not completely freezing, or raining, I walk home from dropping the kids. That's a mile done. I stretch daily. I plan healthy balanced meals with lots of vegetables and fresh fruits.
 So what's my problem?
 a) not moving enough
b) portion sizes are too large
c) sporadic coke binges
d) Starbucks!!!!
e) rare bouts of potato chip/junk food TV boredom eating
f) 2 tsp of sugar in my morning tea (that I drink 8 cups of a day!)


What am I going to do about it? I'm stuck in a rut.. having a gym membership isn't helping if I don't go to the gym. I don't like exercising in front of others. My plan to keep the kids healthy and moving isn't working - they aren't motivated and I'm not motivated to do it with them. Big stall there. I have to move to get them moving..... I think I need a kickstart.... the weather isn't helping either.... I hate the cold and wet.... ugh.... so non motivational to my weight concerns.

 I want to mention that it's not my weight (number on the scale) itself that's bothering me. It's that I feel fat. That I don't like the way my thighs feel when they rub together. I hate how my clothing fits. How my body is sluggish to respond to the things I want to do. I don't like that it doesn't feel well, or that it causes problems for me. I don't like how my heels hurt not that I've put on weight, or how I feel guilty when I eat things I am not supposed to eat, as I know they contribute to my problem. Ok -now that I've gotten that out of my system... back to the task at hand.

 What am I going to do about it? At this point, I am at a great time to try the FMP diet. I'm not big on diets, but I have been doing a lot of research and this one looks like a good starting point. It's all about fasting, but fasting in the correct way. I've always avoided fasting as I get weak and sick from lack of food, but this one allows you to eat. Take a look at this article: https://www.quantifiedbob.com/2016/04/fasting-mimicking-diet/

Now, Prolon isn't available where I live yet, so I am going to create my own meal plan. My husband and daughter are away all of next week so I can do this without them even noticing! Then I can see if there have been any results before I tell them.

 I have a habit of drinking a green smoothie most mornings anyway, so I am going to continue with that. I may substitute some of the ingredients though, as I'm not sure how much dairy is on the menu. I might try these substitutes instead.

 1 bag of baby spinach 1 can pineapple - with juice 1 tsp cinnamon 1 tsp tumeric 2 tsp green superfood powder (new addition) 1 avocado (new addition ) - to replace the 1 cup yogurt, 1 ripe banana (new addition) - to replace the 1 cup milk, water (new addition) to thin if necessary, 2 tbsp chia seeds --I will divide this up into 3 containers and drink one for breakfast some mornings.

 I will use the various FMD meal suggestions out there that I have found.. http://www.theginamiller.com/2015/07/the-5-day-fasting-diet.html 
http://agingadvice.org/FMD-Recipes.html



Here is my meal plan as it stands before the "fast week".

Day 1:  breakfast: my green smoothie
             lunch:  tabouleh salad
              dinner: brown rice salad
              snack: 1 apple

Day 2:  breakfast: yogurt bowl
             lunch:  green salad with 1/2 avocado w/ evoo & lemon juice dressing
              dinner: apple-almond salad
              snack: 1/2 cup blueberries

Day 3:  breakfast: my green smoothie
             lunch:  1 tsp nut butter on 1 slice whole wheat bread
              dinner: Sesame noodles with bok choy
              snack: 5 almonds

Day 4:  breakfast:  yogurt bowl
             lunch:  tabouleh salad
              dinner:  aloo gobi
              snack: 1 apple

Day 5:  breakfast: my green smoothie
             lunch:  apple almond salad
              dinner:  summer vegetables with pesto and rice cakes
              snack: 1/2 cup blueberries



My plan.. I had blood work done a few months ago, I will have it done again at the one year mark (after a few 'fasts' ) to mark changes and see if I am better.
I will weigh myself at the beginning of the fast (monday morning 1st thing) and again at the end of the fast (saturday morning - 1st thing) to check for weight loss.

I will take my blood pressure daily and record the results.  (I have low bp, so this might be necessary)
I will blog each day about how I am feeling.

Wish me luck.  !!

No comments: